Successfully heading up operations for projects is a skill I honed in my years as an editorial leader. Charting the course and swiftly adjusting as needed is all in a day’s work when putting out a magazine where news cycles can force you to scrap an entire issue’s worth of content just days before they are due to the printer. Planning and process is critical for all projects, but why? I’ve been known to say “we make the plan so we can scrap it.” And I believe it. Forging ahead without a plan is like going into the forest without a compass. At some point you need to reorient yourself and quick, because the sun is going down. Successful projects originate in plans that show reverence for research and strategy upfront in order to build the best foundation possible. A great plan is also grounded in accurate forecasting of resources as it ensures creativity and morale remains high throughout the process.
STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT WITH AN EDITORIAL EYE
194 DIGITAL PROJECTS
11 MILLION IN BUDGETS
287 HAPPY STAFFERS
255 SUCCESSFUL PRINT CLOSES
- Revamp existing project workflow to ensure the big-picture view of how all projects are handled and how the current workload — collectively and individually — impacts budgets, resources, schedules, responsiveness, and client satisfaction.
- Decreased production costs 80%, while increasing digital first content 80% and staff contributions in print and digital 63%, by strategically creating and managing digital first workflow for print product.
- Doubled readership in 6 months despite 25% staff reduction by creating and executing workflow centered on custom-built editorial projects roadmap favoring quality content over quantity. Hit all specified production deadlines, eliminating penalty costs, while trafficking in fast-paced environment.
- Wrote several articles for website, topics such as zero-waste/eco-friendly wedding, picnic, and office.
- Provided much needed visibility into daily and long-term activity in digital story budgets by establishing streamlined CMS workflow that included meeting schedules and all relevant communications.
- Defined editorial, traffic/SEO goals by facilitating quarterly content resulting in custom content calendar.
- Increased staff by 20%, led a team of 50 staff, freelancers and writers and shipped weekly print product on time by creating and implementing entirely new editorial and inter-departmental systems and strategies.
- Reduced photography and art production costs and ensured consistently lean budget by partnering with sister publication and sharing resources.
- Doubled weekly revenue opportunities for Advertising Sales Team by streamlining process, leveraging existing resources and producing more story-driven editorial content that advertisers found desirable.
- Launched dynamic apps content for iOS6 and iPad 3 retina versions of multiple print publications on custom platform within 3 weeks of receipt of original content to line-up with monthly newsstand dates by facilitating client-facing meetings, collecting and managing assets, coordinating and managing shared internal Product and Development resources and troubleshooting under constrained time frame.
- Converted custom content-based app developed offshore into in-house, staff-generated Adobe CS5 app by orchestrating launch and transition process (delivery of early concepts, workflow generation, socialization and training within internal departments).
- Hit desired pre-launch milestones in compliance with Apple requirements and standards as editorial lead on Apple Newsstand launch team through collaboration with marketing, sales, corporate and IT department leads.
- Flipped 7-issue yearly print-focused business to daily digital-based brand with same number of staffers, on time, on budget and within 1 fiscal year by directing complete overhaul of strategic plan (mission, organization systems, team training, packaging and distribution of articles on social media outlets).
- Facilitated sale of multiple, 6-figure branded content programs by fostering teamwork with marketing reps. Present day site reflects custom strategic plan generated and directed for site redesign in 2010.
- Created and implemented print-driven web and editorial workflow and enforced deadlines.
- Reduced waste in production cycle and established invoicing system.
- Co-managed team of 44 staffers.
- Editorial leader on content management system switch while delivering issues on-time.
- Approved content estimates; signed-off on invoices and attended cost record meetings.
- Critiqued manuscripts and advanced galleys ; edited front-of-book pages, wrote several articles.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
Using various known management tools and knowing when to design custom workflows has enabled me to exceed my client’s goals and lead their teams to success on small and large-scale projects.